– Hardware: As new mobile devices are released, obsolete apps may not work as they were intended.
– Operating system: Every year sees updates in iOS versions, and apps need to be updated so that they are compatible with newer versions.
– Programming language: Apps will also have to be updated based on changes to the programming language (Objective C to Swift, Java to HTML5).
– Styles and designs: Mobile UI used to follow skeuomorphic design principles before Apple adopted material design. This meant that all apps had to update their interfaces as well.
– Libraries: Most apps use third party libraries and dependencies which change frequently. The apps will be broken unless they are updated.
– Usage Patterns: As your app matures, your user base will also mature, and the UI might need refreshing to reflect the changes.
– Infrastructure: If the infrastructure on which your app is hosted changes (self-hosted to AWS) you will have to update the app.
– Security bugs: Apps may be affected by security holes any time, and you will have to update the app in order to fix the vulnerabilities.